Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Anthropologie Inspired Necklace

I don't know if there is a person out there who loves Anthropologie more than I do. (If you are out there I hope you have better control of your addiction then I do!) I would spend every penny there if I could.  Mr. Aletha would have to agree, he rations my Anthropologie sprees from time to time to help control my addiction. So when I am not shopping in the store, oohhing over the website, or aahhing over the catalogs, I am constantly becoming inspired from some great DIY projects. Here is the first of many Anthropologie inspired tutorials.

Anthropologie Inspired Beaded Necklace Tutorial

Here are the basic things that you will need. I found everything at Michaels for under $5, with coupons of course!

  • Beading thread 
  • About a dozen wooden beads 
  • About a dozen spacer beads 
  • Accent beads ( I decided to change my accent beads to pearls that I had from a broken necklace but anything would look great.) 
  • About 3 feet of pattern ribbon, 1 inch wide 
  • You may choose to have a clasp in the back, I like a longer necklace so the clasp was not needed

  • String your beads alternating your wooden beads and spacer beads. Notice I did not center the accent beads, this adds a bit of extra interest and helps balance the weight of the bow that will be on the opposite side. 
  • Tie a small bow using about 12 inches of the ribbon. 
  • Trim and extra and coat all ends with clear nail polish to prevent fraying. 
  • Sew the ends of the beaded strand to each end of the 24 inch ribbon using a small hand sewing needle, make three to four small stitches to secure them together strongly.
  • Hot glue the bow to the ribbon, opposite side of the accent beads.
 
Now just wear your new Anthropologie inspired necklace out and about and collect complements everywhere you go!



1 comment: