Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What drives you?

Some of you might have noticed the lack of posts in the past couple of weeks. I wish it was because I was so busy making wonderful things to share with you, but sadly this is not the case. After several painting, sewing, crafting, and home decor failures and disasters I am posing these questions to you...

What drives you to create? 
What is the thing that makes you want to create day after day? 
How do you keep creating when nothing seems to be working?

If I thought I had the right answers, or even any answer I would share it with you, but I would love to hear what you think. I am in a point of reflection in my life right now, maybe it is a quarter life crisis! Ha! The problem is all this reflection has filled my head so full that it is hard to create. It is hard to think about anything else. So just like Michael Scott declared "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!" I am declaring "I HAVE CREATIVE BLOCK!!" (Not bankruptcy, just to be clear.)
Now that I have said it out loud (wow that felt good) I am committing myself to manning up. When I feel like I'm flailing I like to embark on a new project, the bigger the better. I have four new mixed media paintings in the works right now. I have taken over our dining room with these new 20x20 inch hopefully wonderful paintings to be. 
I start each painting by laying out the doilies first. I inter mix doilies that I have made, with doilies that I have thrifted, to give myself a basic layout to establish the composition first. I make sure there is a good variation of scale and pattern and that some of the doilies interact with the edges of the canvas. Color does not matter at this point because the doilies will all be dyed or painted later. The next step will be picking color pallets, my favorite! Stay tuned, I hope to be sharing the next stage with you soon. I look forward to hearing how you deal with creative block, leave me a comment or shoot me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment