Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Shoe Redo Tutorial

I have a bad habit, like most ladies, of buying lots and lots of shoes. My problem is that I ruin them as quick as I get them. There is nothing worse then spilling on a new pair of leather shoes the first time you wear them.
I loved these shoes so much I couldn't bare to throw them out, so they sat in the back of my closet, so sad and so stained. Until one day, I thought what could I do to bring these beauties back to life. My first thought  was to paint them, but I thought that the contrast of paint and leather would cheapen them. Also the front detail was stain free so I wanted to do something that would highlight the ruffle. I decided that fabric would be the best solution for my desired results.

So I present to you my fabric covered shoe tutorial!
The basic concept in this fabric covered shoe is decoupage. What you need-
Shoes (either damaged or in need of any update, the less complicated the better)
Scrap fabric to create a template for your pattern pieces
Marker to trace pattern pieces
Fabric, any cotton. Mine is decor weight by Anna Maria Horner
Mod Modge and a paint brush
Fabric Glue
Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge over one section of the shoe. Cut a piece of the scrap fabric larger then that section and smooth it over, making sure there are no air bubbles. Trace out the basic shape and peal it off. Next cut out the shape you traced. Now use this piece as a template to cut from the real fabric adding .5 inches on all sides to aid in hiding the raw edges.
  Cover section generously with fabric glue and smooth fabric making sure there are no air bubbles. Tuck under the bottom edge and rap other edges around into the shoe. Cover completely with Mod Podge. This will create a protective coating to prevent the fabric from getting dirty too quickly. Repeat for the remainder of sections on both shoes. 
The final result is a pair of cute, saved from the trash shoes, that get to have another day in the sun. One tip I will pass along that I learned the hard way. DO NOT MOD PODGE THE INSIDE OF THE SHOES. It harden the fabric making it sharp and scratchy. If you would like a cleaner look inside the shoe, apply a ribbon with fabric glue over the raw edge. It is softer on your toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment